Young Farmer Summer Seminar (YFSS) is a 5-week intensive agriculture education program from July 15th - August 17th, 2018. YFSS is an integrated agricultural training program that pairs undergraduate students with dedicated farmer mentors in Rice County, MN to learn about farming on the ground and in the rough. Students will work in groups and rotate between several farms throughout the summer. Students will also convene each weekend for topical seminars in agricultural biology and policy. There will also be several field trips throughout the summer to different agriculturally engaged organizations so that students get a well rounded view into the field of agriculture. YFSS takes place from mid-July to the end of August. YFSS is dedicated to training the next generation of agricultural leaders. You can apply here.
- Current undergraduate Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior
- Must be 18 years old at time of application
- Dedicated to learning about and contributing to the field of agriculture
- Willingness to operate in an interdisciplinary environment
This program takes place from July 15th - August 17th, 2018.
YFSS is provided free of charge to accepted students. YFSS will provide housing and transportation for all activities during the program.
Students are responsible for:
- Travel to and from Northfield, MN
- Personal food items (although food is provided during the weekly seminars and field trips)
- Any and all personal items during their stay
Students can submit either a recommendation letter or contact information from someone who can speak to their character. References cannot be from someone related to the candidate.